Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Wow, I actually have homework now...

and I just finished it. Back to those silly German grammar worksheets, boo.
I only had my German class today (uneventful), but we were also supposed to go to the opening of the International Literature Festival for my Berlin in and as Literature class.
I actually only saw 2 people I knew there-Jim, who is on the advising side of the program here, and Holly, who is actually one of my classmates. I wonder where the rest of my class was...Anyway, it was a pretty interesting opening. After we got past the insanely long intro, all in German, natuerlich, and a ridiculous number of thanks, we finally got to hear Arundhati Roy, the author of The God of Little Things. Thank goodness I read it this summer! (incidentally, I really would recommend it. Great read.) She spoke about "Democracy's Failing Light"...in English :) It was fascinating to hear some of her answer to the question "is there life after democracy?" from the point of view of someone who has lived in India's democracy. Not only was the topic interesting, from the broad ideas to the specific facts, but the way she spoke was as compelling as the way she writes. She is simply a fantastic speaker. I am so glad I had the opportunity to hear her. I have no idea if it would be possible to find this talk online, although apparently it's the intro to a book coming out soon-I have no idea which one, but look out for it.
This little field trip went until about 8, and then I had to get all the way back across Berlin to get home. Luckily Holly and I live in the same building (as do all the NYU students) so we could travel together. When we got back, I went to her room for a peanut-butter-and-nutella sandwich (ie deliciousness) and then came up to mine to do homework.
What a packed day. I am so tired! But not too tired to update you, my lovely readers. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment