Monday, September 7, 2009

First day of classes

As you might guess from the title, today was the first day of classes. I had two, Composition and Conversation and Marx, Nietzsche, and Freud.
First, however, I had to find a Citibank and turn in all my forms. I managed to sleep through my alarm or it didn't go off...I have no idea which one...and so got ready in a panicked hurry, rushing out the door in an attempt to get to the bank and to Humboldt by noon. I managed to find the bank-and almost had a heart attack when I saw my balance before realizing they just hadn't yet processed my paychecks. I got to Humboldt in plenty of time and had everything I needed for my residency permit application except my health form, which luckily I can just email. Whew.
I had about an hour and a half before class then, so I got passport photos for the application taken and grabbed a light lunch with some other girls from the program. Gotta love the availability of Broetchen mit Brie oder Mozzarella. Und Kaffee.
So, my German class...there's only 3 of us. Good, yes, but I almost feel like it's too much individual attention. Gotta be perfect every day. Okay, time to study...haha.
I had about another hour after that finished before my next class, so I got a coffee (of course) and sat outside a Starbucks copycat reading and people watching. I love just seeing the people go by, especially in a city I don't know well. It really gives me the feel of the city.
Next was Marx, Nietzsche, and Freud. I think it'll be really good once we get into the readings. Today just seemed really long because I was starving by about 1/3 of the way through the class and the professor went off on A LOT of tangents. Usually I enjoy things like that but I was just so hungry! Ah well, I really can't wait to get started on the actual content.
After class I decided to walk to the S-Bahn instead of taking the tram to see if there were any stationary shops, as I hadn't brought any notebooks with me. Luckily I found one, so I got a couple notebooks. Then when I got off the subway I just picked up a frozen pizza (and some Ritter Sport) for dinner. Too lazy to make anything complicated. Man I need to go grocery shopping! It's happening tomorrow. I only have one class. It has to.
Oh, I also started reading Muriel Barbery's second book, Gourmet Rhapsody. It's amazing, just as good as The Elegance of the Hedgehog. Many passages are beautiful and brilliant and inspiring. One sentence, however, has stuck with me. "The real ordeal is not leaving those you love but learning to live without those who don't love you." Don't ask me why, but this speaks to me. I think perhaps because it is so honest but not something people will often recognize...I don't know. It is certainly something to ponder. I feel like it's one of those things that could inspire an entire essay, drawing on the ideas at which it hints. If you have any ideas regarding it, let me know. Even better if you've read Gourmet Rhapsody. I don't think I can fully understand this book without discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment