Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Getting adjusted

...it's finally happening.
This morning I went down to the Baeckerei (bakery), etc on the corner and got some fresh Broetchen and Kaffee, then brought it back upstairs to have with some of my brie left over. Delish. The Broetchen were still warm from the oven. Does it get any better than that?
I only had one class today, so that was nice. It was one about the Museumsinsel, or Museum Island. We're going to be visiting all the museums that are a part of that, as well as the Gemaeldegalerie in the Kulturforum and the Neue Nationalgalerie. A little more than half will be those trips, the other being lectures/discussions. Yay. It's going to be so much fun.
After that my roomie, Chelsea, and I went to Friedrichstrasse to pick up some books and for her to buy herself a birthday present (it was yesterday). We went to basically the Berlin equivalent of Borders or Barnes and Noble, Dussmans. We got our German-English dictionaries (why did I have to forget mine?!) and I also got a journal for my time here. While I right about all the stuff I've done in a strictly narrative manner here, I want to have a place as well to record my private reactions, thoughts, and feelings during my time here. As pretentious as it may sound, I really feel like this could be a time of great personal growth. It is certainly the most independent I have been.
Anyway, when we got back I did a little mini-grocery shopping. I went to a place called Aldi, which is strange. Lots of stuff, but a very random selection...and you have to pay to use a grocery cart! And they don't give you shopping bags. I literally carried the about 8 items I bought in my hands because all I brought with me was my wallet. It was a little silly looking, I fear. I'm going to do some more extensive shopping tomorrow.
Tonight I went out for a (yes, one) drink with a couple people from the program, Chelsea and Paul. We went to a little bar a few blocks away and I had my first beer in Germany! It was quite fun-and yummy. We just chilled out there and then came back...I love going out and still managing to have an early night. Of course I don't have class till 2:30 tomorrow...but I do love being good to my body :)
All in all, a good-and productive-day.
See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment