Sunday, September 6, 2009

Potsdam

Today was so much better. I managed to get a full night of sleep last night, which was great. It's been so long...haha
This morning, before our tour of Potsdam, I decided to go out in search of coffee. That, of course, turned into me walking around for about half an hour-I decided since I had so much extra time I might as well explore. I didn't see anything too exciting, but it was good to get a small sample of the area. I came back with coffee for my roommate (who also happens to be a veggie!) and myself, then left for the walking tour of Potsdam.
We took the train out of Berlin into the history-rich city that is Potsdam. As soon as we got off the bus at the bridge into it, we learned that during WWII that was a site for secret exchanges between the Soviets and the Western Allies.
Once we walked over the bridge, we walked around and learned various historical facts, including about the many restructurings of buildings. In this, we visited and learned about the Nikolaikirche, or Church of St. Nicholas. Although it is now a Lutheran church, it originated as a Roman Catholic one. We then went to the Dutch quarter to get some lunch, although I had gotten a Buerek mit Kaese just outside Potsdam, so I just had a glass of Riesling (yum yum).
After lunch we walked around some more, visiting the Garnisonkirche, or Garrison Church. The church itself has been destroyed, although the bells remain-and played as we stood there. WE then headed to Sanssouci, a palace of Frederick the Great. It had some beautiful gardens and is surprisingly modest. At that point, however, I was exhausted and ready for dinner and bed. Some people stayed a bit longer to look around the gardens more, but I went back with a few others.
I grabbed some food from a sort of convenience store (must go grocery shopping!), brought it upstairs and sat down with it and my computer, getting everything ready for class tomorrow! Eeeeek!
Now, I think it may be time for a movie and bed...

No comments:

Post a Comment