Saturday, September 5, 2009

Welcome to Berlin!

Hey y'all!
Following Michael Bennett's lead, I thought I'd start a blog while studying abroad. That way you can all hear about my fabulous adventures and be jealous :)

I left yesterday evening at 7:20 pm from Detroit and flew overnight to Amsterdam. The flight was thankfully both uneventful and efficient. I had ended up sitting next to a lady who wanted to talk to me. A lot. She's on her way to do missionary work in Nairobi, about which I had to refrain from remarking on my dislike for the religious aspect. I respect the physical help given but something doesn't sit right with me about trying to convert people, especially with material goods desperately needed.
Anyway, she was pretty talkative. I learned that this was the culmination of a 50 year old dream for her, which is amazing. I hope that in 50 years I can be living my dreams. She then asked all about my trip, but didn't seem too interested in my career plans. The question she seemed most concerned about was, "Do you have a boyfriend?"
Hahahaha. It was all I could do to make a joke about all the attractive European guys I'll be meeting and not wanting a boyfriend to tie me down. I just said something about not right now, and how I'm not worried. Still she seemed to feel the need to reassure me :) Really though, I'm not worried.
So apart from the 2 1/2 hours of sleep I got, that's my flight to Amsterdam. I had about 1 hour in their airport then caught my flight to Berlin. That one was completely uninteresting, but also very short, so that was nice. I caught a cab right away and got to my apartment.
I was met by Cornelius, our main connection in Berlin. I simply dropped my stuff off and immediately went to a lunch/orientation meeting and then a walking tour of Berlin. I am absolutely exhausted, but at the same time very excited.
I'm finally done unpacking, and despite already possibly having broken my iHome (which I'm really upset about, obvi), I can't wait for things to get going. It's my suitemate's birthday this weekend, so I may be going out with them...if I don't pass out first. We'll see...

Berlin!

No comments:

Post a Comment