Thursday, September 24, 2009

Museums and bars and churches oh my!

It's been a while since I updated, I know. I've been having difficulties with my internet connection-and then when I finally sat down to write here, I received some upsetting news. One of the ministers from All Souls, who had been the senior minister for years and then was the minister for public theology, Rev. Dr. Forrest Church, had passed away (Thursday evening). It's a bit difficult to be here and not in NYC. He had fought cancer for several years, so it wasn't exactly a surprise, but still is hard to handle. I am there in spirit with all those who cared for him, and at the memorial service.
Anyway, more cheerful stuff...
So on Tuesday we went to the Gemaeldegalerie in my "Museumsinsel" class. It was begun basically as West Berlin's answer to the Museuminsel, which was in East Berlin and housed most of the great works. We looked at several paintings in detail, so I didn't get to see much, but I learned more about how to look at works of art.
Wednesday was unexciting-just class, etc. although Chelsea and I did go back to the delish Thai place in Kreuzberg. I had the exact same thing as last time-couldn't resist.
Thursday-basically just class and homework, although C and I hung out and enjoyed some wine :) possibly my last Riesling for the year-it just feels silly to drink it once it's long-sleeve weather. Paul came up and hung out for a bit as well...he had locked himself out, silly boy. I love having chill evenings at home like that.
Friday my Museumsinsel class went to the Museum der Dinge, or Museum of Things. It literally was a bunch of...stuff...displayed in a somewhat jumbled manner. It was interesting, although I would have liked a bit more explanation as to why some things were in there and why they were displayed in the manner that they were. It certainly inspired some discussion as to the agenda of the curator and what makes a museum. Weird stuff. Afterwards, C and I went to a super-cheap Vietnamese place around the corner, Green Rice. Not my favorite. The food was pretty good (I had a red curry), and you know how much I love cheap, but the proprieter was so rude. I actually couldn't believe it. I was trying to tell him that I wanted tofu and no chicken but he just refused to make eye contact and kept mumbling! Honestly, no matter what language you speak, I'm not going to understand you if you mumble. I've never understood why people in service industries think it's a good idea to mumble.
I spent the rest of the day just chillin'. I spent a lot of time reflecting on Forrest's influence on my life and related topics. I really will miss his voice (written and spoken). May he always be remembered and finally be at peace.
Saturday was another relaxed day, doing homework and watching movies/Gossip Girl (too much). C and I did discover our new favorite place-Bierhimmel. It means "Beer Heaven" and it truly is divine. We split a piece of chocolate torte with slivered almonds and she had a hot chocolate (Kakao) and I had a steamed milk with Bailey's. OMG soooo good. And soooo reasonably priced. If any of you reading are coming to visit (and I hope someone is!), we will be going there. I've decided it's "my place". :)
Today, Holly and I went to the American Church in Berlin. Much better. Still not quite my cup of tea-I'm really not as Christian as any of the churches here are-but definitely the best fit. The sermon actually required a little thought, which was nice. It's a much bigger congregation, and they are very welcoming. I talked to the greeter while I was waiting for H, and he asked us about our studies, etc. Apparently he told the choir directors there that I'm studying music, because before the service, two of them came up to us (at different times) to try to get me involved. I think I'm going to do it-I do really miss singing, even if it's a different style than I am used to. It'll also be a great way to get to know some people outside the NYU in Berlin group. I think that I'll go to the rehearsal for the Chamber Choir on Tuesday as well as the one next Sunday for the Contemporary Choir and see if either/both is a good fit. I hope so!
xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment