Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Last night...crazy

So I was going to post last night...but I got so tired that I went to bed. Then, of course I couldn't sleep, so I lay there from about 12-2 unable to sleep. Finallyyyyy I passed out, only to be woken up about 10 minutes later by Chelsea, "Um, Emma? There's a really big fire right outside..."
I jumped up and looked out my window-sure enough, there was a massive fire on the ground right behind our building. We grabbed our valuables (in my case, my wallet with all my card, key, and passport photocopy in it) and ran down the stairs, ringing a couple bells on the way. We ran into a couple other girls, Courtenay and Caroline, who live on the 3rd floor, and Christopher, who lives on the 1st floor. The girls all see Christopher standing there, who then exclaims, "It's out front!"
There's mass confusion for just a moment while we all realize that there is fire on either side of our building. We don't want to walk out directly into one-but there is no way I'm staying in a building when there are fires on both sides of it. That just seems like a death trap.
So the girls and I run out of the building and partway down the street, away from the FLAMING CAR. As we exited our building, Chelsea cried, "it's a car! It's going to explode!" Naturally this led to us running away. We saw the police/fire department coming-whew!-and then called the NYU emergency phone number. Naturally nobody answered.
We ran into others from our program, with all of us eventually gathering in (I think) Cornelius' apartment. We waited until a bit after 3 for the firefighters to put out the fire and clean up enough for us to get back into the building.
After that, of course I couldn't sleep. Not only did (do) our rooms reek of burning rubber, but my adrenaline was really going. That was one of the scariest things that has ever happened to me. It turns out that there are people that do this all the time; I'm not going to go into detail here, but I'll post an article link here and just say it's mainly young people who are anti-capitalization, anti-gentrification, anti-a lot of things. They have apparently done this to 100+ cars this year. And lucky us, we got 2-one on either side of the building, plus the ones that caught off of those. So much excitement!
After that, especially, yesterday and today were very uneventful. Literally just class, homework, and chilling out. Oh and trying to figure out Oktoberfest/fall break in London. I'm looking for deals...man I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment