Saturday, September 12, 2009

Let's play catch up

Words that always mean a good start to the night.
But in this instance I mean I haven't posted since Thursday and it's now Saturday. Two whole days without my wonderful storytelling, how did you survive? :)
Friday I don't have class. Basically, it's wonderful. Woke up when I felt like it (around 10), made breakfast, and made another mildly stressful trip to the bank. It's not the trip that's stressful-it's seeing that I still don't have all the money in my account I should and hoping that none of my checks got lost in the mail.
Then Chelsea (my fab roomie) and I went to Sprintout, a copy shop, to get our course readers. Of course, our professors neglected to inform us that it was a 1-day waiting period and you could only get it early the next day if you went before noon. Also they apparently aren't open on weekends because we can't pick up our readers till Monday evening. We were not too pleased. We then met up with some other students for a tour of Humboldt Universitaet, our host uni. It was pretty quick (whew!) but informative-we saw the international students office, cafeteria(s), libraries, and found out helpful info about computer labs, internet access, etc. Then C and I went to get a late lunch at this random Aussie restaurant-we had bruschetta and baguette with sun-dried tomatoes, and she had a beer and I the worst wine ever. I actually didn't drink it-that's how bad it was. I just love paying for overpriced box wine (which I'm pretty sure is what it was).
I came back, did some hw, a few exercises-I was feeling a bit lazy after my summer of riding. Then I was informed that people were going to a club called Love Lite for their soul-dancing night. Despite my skepticism regarding the name (is it just me, or does it sound super sketch?), I thought it sounded like quite the good time. We all hung out for a bit in one of our rooms-Holly and I ran out to get a couple beers. When we got back we had enough time to have one and then realized-wait! We're in Germany! We can drink in public here! We then, of course, ended up taking our second beers on the walk/train ride with us. God I love Berlin. I may never come back haha.
Love Lite was awesome. It was quite a trek to get there and a bit difficult to find, but totally worth it. I danced for literally hours. And because it was actual music, not just bump-and-grind "music", I was actually dancing. I loved it, although I was ready to leave fairly early. I'm such an old woman sometimes. However, we ended up not getting home till about 4. I wasn't exactly concerned about safety, though, because there were literally about 15 of us there. Over half our program went. Pretty cool, eh?
Today I took it really easy. I didn't wake up till a bit after noon, then made some lunch and basically did homework all day. I have so much reading to do. Some of it's in German, which makes it that much harder. 20 pages in normal English, no prob. German-something of a prob. The other reading that I haven't yet finished is Marx, and he is no easy read. It doesn't help that I'm reading it online since the stupid copy shop won't give me my reader till after my class. Grrr.
In the morning I've decided to make the trek to an English-speaking Catholic church. I wish there was a Unitarian-Universalist one here, but alas. I'm opting for the Catholic one for a variety of reasons. It's (partially) my heritage, so I feel a little more welcome, it's easily accessible by train, and they have the least scary website. By which I mean my non-declarative UU self is scared off by things proclaiming We consider it a joy to be able to be “an ecumenical home for people from diverse nations sharing God’s love in Jesus Christ.”
Not that I have a problem with that-and not that Catholicism doesn't celebrate the divinity of JC, obviously-but for some reason I find statements like that somewhat off-putting for my personal faith and search for truth, or at least search for something for now.
Due to this morning quest, I should probably go and get some sleep about now...don't want to go back to my 7-grade self, falling asleep in church!

No comments:

Post a Comment